The early home of Lawrenceville First United Methodist Church was constructed in 1891. It was located on a hill north of the Historic Gwinnett County Courthouse and Lawrenceville Square, at the intersection of Oak Alley, now Oak Street, and Perry Street. This location suffered a devasting fire in 1902, that destroyed most of the building and church records, along with the adjacent schoolhouse.
Following the loss of its first location, the church moved down the hill and east of the old Courthouse. This location was just off the Lawrenceville Square on Pike Street. This location still stands today as the home of the Aurora Theater.
Our current office area and adjacent two-story wing opened as the church's new home in 1972. The original Sanctuary and classroom building provided enough space until growth necessitated a move to our new Sanctuary. The current Sanctuary (pictured at right) was built in 1983, allowed seating for six hundred people and increased space for the music program, library and parlor.
Additional building growth in 1997 included renovations to the Sanctuary, increase seating for a total of nine hundred and fifty people. A thirty-thousand square foot, three-story wing was also constructed at that time, which currently houses the Nursery program, Grace Arbor, multi-use classrooms and the Family Center.
By the end of 1998, the original 1972 Sanctuary was renovated and used as a fellowship hall, and later refurbished as office space for the growing church staff. In 1999, existing space was renovated to include a prayer chapel, which contains four of the original stained glass panels from the Pike Street location. These panels survived over the years and have been restored to their former beauty.
Over the past 15 years, renovations and new building projects have taken place to allow for continued growth and expansion. The current Sanctuary and organ underwent remodeling in 2007. Construction began on the newest three-story wing in 2008, was completed in 2009 and now houses Gibson Hall, The Studio for the Children's Ministry, The Warehouse for the Student Ministry and over half a dozen additional classrooms.
FUMC of LawrencevilleLocated: 395 W. Crogan St.Mailing: P.O. Box 2127 Lawrenceville, GA 30046 E:
Service Times Sundays: 8, 9:30 & 11 am
© Copyright 2012 First United Methodist Church of Lawrenceville. All rights reserved.